Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
Love it? Pin it! (Just click the photo)
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
If you’re anything like me, after making mashed potatoes with dinner, there always seems to be a lot leftover. Instead of throwing them away, why not make these potato pancakes with the leftover mashed potatoes? They’re quite easy to make, and it’s a great way of being inventive with leftovers!
I made these potato cakes for my family after Thanksgiving when we had such a large bowl of leftovers, and everyone raved about them!! After finding this recipe, I won’t be letting any more of our leftover mashed potatoes go to waste! Try it, you’ll just how easy and delicious they are!
Get creative with the seasoning and add ins on this recipe to make your own great creation! Other ideas include:
- sun dried tomatoes
- leftover taco meat
- fried mushrooms
- … pretty much whatever you have!
They can be topped with sour cream, extra bacon bits, sautéed veggies, ketchup, sausage and eggs, basically anything you might have handy!
Items you’ll need for this recipe
* Mashed Potatoes * Frying Pan * Cheese *
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese (such as cheddar)
- ½ cup flour
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
- Fry the bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel until cool. Crumble into small bits. Place the bacon bits into a large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp of bacon grease from the frying pan and over medium heat cook the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add to the bacon bits along with remaining ingredients (except butter/margarine) and blend well with a spoon or your hands (it'll be sticky).
- Wash and dry your frying pan, then melt 1 tbsp of butter or margarine in it over medium heat.
- Scoop up about ¼ of a cup of the potato mixture and form it into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, flattening it out until it's about ½ - ¾" thick.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden brown.
- For best results, serve immediately, while hot and crispy.
- Top with green onions, sour cream or ketchup.
Here are a few more recipes you’ll love