Love it? Pin it! (Just click the photo)
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes or you can make them fresh if you don’t have any!
Get creative with the seasoning and add ins on this recipe to make your own great creation! Other ideas include:
- sun dried tomatoes
- leftover taco meat
- fried mushrooms
- … pretty much whatever you have!
They can be topped with sour cream, extra bacon bits, sauted veggies, ketchup, sausage and eggs, basically anything you might have handy!
Looking for another great way to use up mashed potatoes? Check out my Loaded Mashed Potato Bombs!
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese (such as cheddar)
- ½ cup flour
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
- Fry the bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel until cool. Crumble into small bits. Place the bacon bits into a large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp of bacon grease from the frying pan and over medium heat cook the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add to the bacon bits along with remaining ingredients (except butter/margarine) and blend well with a spoon or your hands (it'll be sticky).
- Wash and dry your frying pan, then melt 1 tbsp of butter or margarine in it over medium heat.
- Scoop up about ¼ of a cup of the potato mixture and form it into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, flattening it out until it's about ½ - ¾" thick.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden brown.
- For best results, serve immediately, while hot and crispy.
- Top with green onions, sour cream or ketchup.