Hamburger Soup is a quick and easy meal loaded with vegetables, lean beef, diced tomatoes and potatoes. It’s great made ahead of time, reheats well and freezes perfectly.
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
I love a good soup as a weeknight meal. I find them satisfying, simple and they are loaded with vegetables and healthy ingredients! You can make them totally low cal like a Weight Loss Vegetable Soup, nice and hearty like a Chicken Wild Rice Soup or rich and creamy like a Slow Cooker Corn Chowder!
This Hamburger Soup is simple classic comfort food, hearty, healthy and satisfying. A rich tomato broth filled with ground beef, tender potatoes and vegetables. Sometimes the most simple ingredients make the best ever meals. This hamburger soup is not only delicious, it’s easy to make with ingredients you likely have on hand.
I start with a mixture of lean beef, onion and garlic browned and drained. You can use any kind of ground meat in this recipe including ground turkey. Beef broth is the best broth option to add lots of great flavor; I personally prefer the low sodium variety.
I use a mixture of frozen vegetables to make this super easy (no chopping, no prepping) but it’s also a great way to use up any veggies in your fridge. Carrots, celery, peas, beans, zucchini… pretty much anything goes, sometimes we make this even with cabbage!
This version of Hamburger Soup uses potatoes since that’s how we always had it growing up. If you don’t have potatoes on hand (or just prefer pasta) you can add any type of pasta into this recipe! I add an extra 1 cup of broth (or water) and let the pasta simmer until tender. Macaroni, shells and rotini are favorites!
While the soup is simmering, I prepare a quick chopped salad and slice up a loaf of french bread (almost always served with Homemade Garlic Butter) for a complete meal.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this soup is great reheated for lunches all week but even better, it freezes perfectly! I prop up a freezer bag in my little baggie holder and fill each baggie with one serving. When I need a quick lunch, I take it out of the freezer the night before or in the morning and microwave for a perfect meal.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 medium potatoes , peeled and diced
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups mixed vegetables , fresh or frozen
- Brown onion, ground beef and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add potatoes, broth, tomatoes, tomato soup, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning and bay leaves. Simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Latest posts by Holly (see all)
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad with Garlic Parmesan Flatbread - May 24, 2017
- Candied Pecans - May 20, 2017
- Blueberry Buckle - May 17, 2017