This Corned Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooker recipe packs all of the deliciousness of corned beef into a meal that cooks itself. Talk about a stroke of good fortune on St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year!
Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect time to try a new slow cooker recipe like Corned Beef and Cabbage. This is a super easy way to cook something delicious that your family will love!
Corned Beef is brisket, which has been cured and brined. A lot of people don’t cook it at home because of the confusion over cooking it but, it is actually very simple!
It is important to keep in mind, corned beef (and beef brisket in general) is a tough cut of meat until it is properly cooked. If it is tough, it simply hasn’t cooked for long enough… leave it in the slow cooker and give it a little more time.
Before cutting you’ll always want to allow your corned beef to rest. Resting meat is the secret to having a great cut of meat. The results are evident as the corned beef will be juicier and more flavorful. After the resting period, cut against the grain to make fork tender corned beef.
This recipe is best cooked in a 6QT slow cooker (or larger) as it really fills the crock. Add your potatoes a few hours into the cooking process, so that they cook for about 5-6 hours, this will keep them from getting mushy. Add the cabbage 2 hours before you plan to serve the meal.
While this Slow Cooker recipe does contain a few steps, it creates a one of a kind, delicious dinner that your family will love! I have a feeling you will want to make this year round!
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 corned beef brisket (3-4lbs)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.5 - 3 cups water
- 2 lbs potatoes , peeled & quartered
- 2 large carrots , chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage , cut into wedges
- Chop onion into large chunks and place in the bottom of a 6 qt slow cooker. Top with corned beef and seasoning packet.
- Pour water into slow cooker until it just about covers the corned beef. Add garlic and bay leaves.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- After the initial 3 hours, add potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker.
- Two hours before serving, add cabbage wedges to the slow cooker.
- Remove corned beef from slow cooker and let rest 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
More Recipes You’ll Love