This flavorful Chicken Wild Rice Soup is hearty and delicious loaded with fresh vegetables, wild rice and chicken. This dish contains no cream or dairy products making it a healthy choice that will warm you from the inside out.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup (no cream)
Pin it to SAVE it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Chicken Wild Rice Soup is an easy, healthy dish to whip up on a chilly day! It’s full of veggies and contains no cream (or dairy), which makes it lower in calories.
You can can use either chicken or turkey in this meal (and add any veggies you happen to have on hand). It’s an easy weeknight soup, perfect served with crusty bread and salad, that will be enjoyed by the whole family, no doubt!
This recipe uses just wild rice, not a wild rice mixture or blend. You will find the wild rice in the grocery store near the other rice products and will likely notice it can be a little bit pricey. For wild rice, it increases in bulk quite a bit and a little goes a long way for both quantity and flavor. If you don’t want to buy the whole package for this recipe, check the bulk area and you can purchase just the amount needed.
Not only is this soup loaded with flavor, the chicken is full of protein and we’re always looking for ways to eat more veggies! All of the ingredients are affordable and even leftovers from other meals can be used (grilled chicken, leftover turkey, rotisserie chicken… all of them are perfect in this dish)!
While I do have a rich and creamy version of Chicken Wild Rice Soup, I do really love this a dairy free version. Either of these soups will be the perfect recipe for the cold (and possibly cold) season. Without the addition of heavy cream, this version is much lower in calories but doesn’t skimp on flavor.
It keeps for a few days in the fridge or freezes beautifully in case there are leftovers – but I doubt that’ll happen because everyone will want seconds!
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup celery , sliced
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup finely diced cabbage
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 large red pepper , diced
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high. Cook onion and garlic until slightly softened. Add carrots, celery, poultry seasoning and flour. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except wild rice. Let simmer 15 minutes.
- Add rice and continue cooking uncovered for about 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Latest posts by Holly (see all)
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad with Garlic Parmesan Flatbread - May 24, 2017
- Candied Pecans - May 20, 2017
- Blueberry Buckle - May 17, 2017