Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
This cashew chicken stir fry is full of sauteed chicken, veggies and crunchy cashews, all coated in a simple savory sauce. No need to order take out when you can make your own at home!
How to Make Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
Pin now to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One of my favorite take out dishes is cashew chicken, I just can’t get enough of it! I decided it was time to learn to make it at home, and my version is cheaper, healthier and tastes better than what you’d order at a restaurant. First let’s talk about the veggies. I make this recipe with a combination of onions, zucchini and mushrooms. I’ve also seen cashew chicken with additions like celery, green bell peppers and water chestnuts, so you can add or substitute those if you prefer. The veggies are cooked until tender and then the chicken goes into the pan.
I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this stir fry, which I cut into 1-inch pieces. You could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs, it’s really up to you! The chicken is cooked until golden brown, then the chicken and veggies are coated in an easy sauce. You probably have most of the ingredients for the sauce in your pantry already. The exception might be the hoisin sauce, which is available in most grocery stores in the ethnic foods section. I like to put a pot of rice on the stove to cook at the same time I start my stir fry, that way I’ve got a complete dinner in no time!
I add the cashews at the very end so that they stay crunchy. I typically use unsalted or low sodium roasted cashews; if you use salted cashews it could make the finished dish overly salty.
Next time you’re about to pick up the phone to order take out, try making it at home instead! This cashew chicken stir fry is easy, simple to make and totally delicious.
Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
This cashew chicken stir fry is full of sauteed chicken, veggies, and crunchy cashews, all coated in a simple savory sauce. No need to order take out when you can make your own at home!
For the stir fry:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil , divided use
- 2 small zucchini , quartered lengthwise then sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup of mushrooms , quartered
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1/3 cup roasted cashews (unsalted or low sodium)
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just softened.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini to the pan and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and just browned.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan, place on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Increase the heat to medium high.
- Place the chicken in the pan and season with the salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar and cornstarch.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the chicken and pour the sauce over the top. Increase the heat to high and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in cashews and serve immediately, over rice if desired.
Other recipes you might like: